California Style Russian River Reuben
- 4 flank steaks
- Your favorite spiced steak rub
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1/3 cup verjuice
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 3 baby carrots, sliced
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage, shredded
- Bunch of chives, finely chopped
- Cobram Estate EVOO and lovage aioli (recipe follows)
- Sliced sourdough
- Sliced cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Lemon juice
- *Serves 4
Equipment: Traeger Grill using pellets
1. Put the steaks in a bowl and massage in the spiced rub. Cover and marinate in the esky on ice for a few hours.
Heat your Traeger Grill to 200∞C as per the instructions.
Add the steaks to the grill and cook for 5 minutes each side. Remove and let the meat rest for a few minutes before slicing for your sandwich.
2. Combine the red onion, verjuice and sugar in a bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes so the onion starts to pickle slightly. Add the carrot, cabbage and chives, then mix in the aioli and toss together well. Season to taste with salt.
3. Make your sandwich as desired; ours has cheese, meat, slaw and avocado with a squeeze of lemon juice to finish.