Creamy Charcoal Roasted Corn with Wild and Tame Mushrooms
Notes: Woodland Groves
- 8 corn cobs, husks and silks removed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- Cobram Estate EVOO
- 2 cups Chanterelle mushrooms (or shiitakes or your favorite wild mushrooms)
- 1 cup roughly chopped chives and basil
- *Feeds 10
Equipment: Charcoal barbecue, Small Dutch oven, and Medium Cast-Iron Frying Pan
1. Heat your charcoal barbecue for at least 15–30 minutes before you start to cook. You want the grill to be sizzling hot.
Place the corn cobs on the grill and cook over the hot coals, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until most of the kernels are blistered, dark brown and caramelized.
2. Cut the kernels from the cob into a small Dutch oven. Scrape the pulp from the cobs with the tip of a spoon and add to the corn. Pour in the cream and miso and cook, stirring occasionally, over the coals for 30 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
3. While the creamed corn bubbles away, place a cast-iron frying pan directly on the coals (or high heat). Heat a good splash of EVOO in the pan, then add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes or until golden and softened. Season with salt.
Top the creamed corn with the mushrooms and finish with a generous scattering of chives and basil.