BY KEVIN O'CONNOR MAY 19th, 2020
Shredded Brussel Sprout and Kale Caesar
Your new go-to when you need that transfusion of greens. You’ll psych your tastebuds and your stomach with this rich and creamy Caesar dressing that happens to be vegan. The nutritional yeast serves as the substitute for the parmesan and capers bring in a briny element that anchovies normally would. Try it with crispy chickpeas as croutons.
- 2lbs of fresh Brussel sprouts
- 1 bunch of Dino/Lacinato Kale
- 1 cup Cobram Estate California Select EVOO
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of raw garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ can (8oz) garbanzo beans, with the liquid
- Fresh cracked black pepper
1. To make the dressing: start by adding the garbanzo beans and the liquid to a blender with the Dijon, lemon juice, capers, nutritional yeast, and garlic. Start blending on low and gradually bring the speed to high then slowly pour in the EVOO to emulsify. Finish with a few cracks of black pepper. This dressing can be made a day ahead of time and should produce more than enough for your salad.
2. For the salad: Remove the stems from the washed dino kale and discard. Slice thin ribbons of kale (a chiffonade) and add to a mixing bowl. Remove the outer leaves from the Brussel sprouts and, holding on to the base, slice the sprouts from top to bottom as thinly as possible on a mandolin. Discard the Brussel sprout stems. Add the shaved brussel sprouts to the bowl of kale. Add as much dressing as you like, a pinch of salt, and massage the dressing into the leaves.